When you think about it, 14K gold plated jewelry is the real MVP of everyday jewelry—it is durable, lightweight, hypoallergenic and is loved by everyone. Wearing 14K gold plated jewelry gives you that fancy feeling without having to worry about a big price tag. Buying these pieces is the perfect way to indulge in some retail therapy without the guilt.
14K gold isn’t just a buzzword used to describe jewelry today, but it indicates the real materials and process used to bring that luxe look to everyday pieces of jewelry. So what is 14K gold plated jewelry? Here’s all you need to know.
What is 14K Plated Jewelry?
Generally, most 14K gold plated jewelry is made with a base metal of either brass, copper or sterling silver (s925). This base metal is plated in a layer of real 14 karat gold, which is where it gets its name.
Think of 14K gold plated jewelry as a sweet spot where affordability meets durability and style. It costs a fraction of the price when compared to 14K gold, which means you can easily start collecting these pieces for everyday wear, special occasions or even give them as gifts to your favorite people.
How to care for 14K gold plated jewelry
Just like you and me, 14K gold plated jewelry thrives when given a little extra TLC. Minimizing exposure to external irritants and proper care can help your jewelry last a long, long time.
Since the plating of the gold is relatively thin, it is likely to tarnish quickly when exposed to factors like perfume, salt water, lotions or any kind of liquid. Here’s how you can make sure your 14K plated gold jewelry keeps from tarnishing:
- Put your jewelry on last: Hair > Makeup > Clothes > Jewelry to ensure minimal tugging and rubbing that could possibly make your jewelry fade.
- Keep your jewelry away from perfume and lotions.
- To clean 14K gold plated pieces, gently wipe with a dry cloth
- For storage choose a safe, dry environment; a jewelry case, velvet-lined bag or wrap it in a soft cloth.
- Use a soft microfibre cloth to wipe off dust particles and maintain shine.
- Remember to take off your jewelry before exercising, washing your hands or showering.
14K plated jewelry has the same luster, and luxurious appearance as real gold jewelry, but comes at a price that we all love.
How To Style 14K Gold Plated Jewelry
1. Stack your rings
Love these looks? Shop them here